The Application of Meditation
Designing Effective Meditations
How you prepare your mind & body for the meditation (the techniques you choose) creates the foundation for the meditative experience because it infuses the practice with the qualities of those techniques. This crucial step helps to create the right state for your meditation to work and sets up the trajectory the experience is likely to follow.
Take this experience even further. Learn the actual structures present in a meditation and how to adjust them to elicit different experiences in the meditation.
The Application of Meditation class takes the tools and practices from our Wednesday Morning Meditations and explains them. It is an in-depth review and reflection on the structures that generated the experiences you had. Through this process you will learn about the what, how and why of meditation, especially the application of meditation!
Because of its connection to Wednesday Morning Meditation, you must be:
- Enrolled in both Wednesday Morning Meditation and The Application of Meditation simultaneously
Date/Time: 2nd & last Wednesday of the month at 7:45am PT for 1 hour
Please Note: Webcam is preferred, but not required to participate. A dial-in option is also available.
What You Will Learn
Then twice a month, directly after Wednesday Morning Meditation, in The Application of Meditation, we review what happened (sharing our experiences) and explain how the structure and instructions of the meditation generated the experiences that the participants reported. During this time, we review things like:
- The purpose and application of the preparation, for example the selected āsanas & prāṇāyamas
- How the preparations could have been adjusted and what effect that might have had on the experience
- The various meanings and significances of the month’s meditation object
- How personal experience influences the outcome of each meditation
- The meaning and application of general meditation concepts and their application in Yoga Therapy
This course depends heavily on student participation. Your instructor will ask participants to share their experiences from the past 2 or 3 meditations and how those experiences impacted them. He then reviews the object, tools and structure of the past few meditations. During this process he explains why he selected them by relating the explanations to the experiences shared. This facilitated conversation leads to an understanding of how the meditations were designed and how you can apply the philosophy and structure to your work with your own students.
Your high artistry of meditation design – that is what interests and inspires me.
What I love about Wednesday mornings is the endlessly unique experiences that show me new things about what meditation can do & about life & myself…I am an experienced designer… For me, meditation is the most fascinating experience of all to design. The worlds you open up on Wednesdays, the potential you hint at, your high artistry of meditation design – that is what interests and inspires me about meditation.
Who This Course is For
- All those seeking to learn how to teach meditation
- Meditation students looking to deepen their understanding of the process of meditation
- Yoga Therapists wanting to learn how to design effective meditation practices for their clients
- Students seeking to understand how to apply meditation, especially for healing
- Students seeking a deeper understanding of their meditation experience and why they happen
In 1991, as part of a study abroad program in Chennai, India, Chase took a semester-long course on Yoga Theory with Mr. TKV Desikachar that essentially set the direction for the rest of his life. He became a private student of Mr. Desikachar, who was his mentor and teacher for 20+ years. During that time, he spent a total of four and a half years in Chennai studying with him, his family and his senior teachers. He also had the opportunity to serve as a teacher at the Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram. From 2006-2012, he was the Director of Therapy and Education at the non-profit Healing Yoga Foundation in San Francisco.
His depth of knowledge on yoga and meditation are shared through practical, humorous anecdotes that translate to everyday life.
No need to worry with our 30 day, no questions asked, money-back guarantee.
At the Yoga Well Institute, we are committed to our students and ensuring this life-changing work is available to all. If finances are the only thing preventing you from enrolling, we invite you to complete our financial aid application and we’ll do our best to work with you.