Summer Semester 2020
Neuroscience & the Experience of Yoga
How Attention, Breath, & Movement Work
Modern science is actively researching how the mind and body function during Yoga and in daily life – “on and off the mat.” In the process, studies are establishing very interesting explanations with lots of practical implications for Yoga.
In this class, you will explore the intersection between the modern study of neuroscience and the ancient wisdom of Yoga to shed light on what happens in your brain while you practice Yoga.
Neuroscience concepts are illustrated, experienced, and linked to practical techniques you can do with your mind (while your body does Yoga) to deepen your Yoga experience.
If you’re curious about how modern science can help you get more out of Yoga, we encourage you to join Neuroscience & the Experience of Yoga!
This class requires that you’ve had at least some experience practicing Yoga. No prior knowledge of neuroscience is necessary. Just bring your brain (and body).
*You will receive 8 contact hours: Techniques, Training & Practice (4), Anatomy & Physiology (4)
Date/Time: Sundays 9am PT/ 12pm ET
Duration: 60-minute classes for 8 weeks
One-time payment of $180
Two monthly payments of $90
Interested in other classes?
Each semester, Yoga Well offers a range of classes focused on different areas of your Yoga journey.
What You Will Learn
Each week, you will explore fundamental concepts in neuroscience through a lens of Yoga and experience complementary skills as you embody these concepts in a gentle practice.
The exploration of this course includes:
- Seeing how different neural networks operate when you do Yoga
- Unpacking neurobiological explanations of the experiences that you have in Yoga
- Exploring modern neurological models of the interplay between mind, body, and breath when you practice Yoga
- Getting a window into the curiously useful intersections between an ancient and a modern science
- Applying modern scientific explanations of meta-cognition (self-observation) to practicing Yoga
- Examining why it’s natural that minds wander and get tips for working with a wandering mind
- Discovering why trying too hard interferes with doing Yoga and how to be less perfect
Private Online Community
Who this Course Is For
- A Yoga student interested in increasing the benefits you get from doing Yoga
- A Yoga student curious to know more about the role of the mind in your Yoga practice
- A Yoga Teacher wanting to learn subtle adjustments in cueing related to what to do with the mind that can support your students
Carrie has studied meditation and Yoga in the Viniyoga system of T.K.V. Desikachar for nine years with her primary teacher, Marcel Allbritton, as well as classes and programs with Chase Bossart, Director of the Yoga Well Institute.
She started Yoga Mind Tools, a company whose mission is to integrate yoga, neuroscience, art, and game design approaches to meditation design and to share the joy of yoga-based meditation for personal exploration, well-being, and transformation.
If you’d like to sign up for more than one semester class, please use this special order form in order to avoid having to complete this form multiple times.
No need to worry with our 30 day, no questions asked, money-back guarantee.
At the Yoga Well Institute, we are committed to our students and ensuring this life-changing work is available to all. If finances are the only thing preventing you from enrolling, we invite you to complete our financial aid application and we’ll do our best to work with you. We are especially committed to supporting BIPOC, LGBT+, Veterans, First Responders and other under-represented communities.