Summer Semester 2020
Haṭha Yoga Pradīpika
Shedding Light on Haṭha Yoga
This class is your opportunity to find out!
The Haṭha Yoga Pradīpika is one of the foundational texts of the Yoga tradition. Composed in the 15th Century CE, Pradīpika means a “light” or “lamp,” and indeed the text is a guide for the practice of Haṭha Yoga.
The text covers the main aspects of Yoga practice from the haṭha point of view, including āsanas (physical postures), prāṇāyāma (conscious breathing exercises), mudrā (energetic locks) and samādhi (meditation).
Studying this text with an expert teacher will give you access to the context of these powerful principles and techniques, why they’re valuable for your practice, and how that translates into a better life.
The Haṭha Yoga Pradīpika was the first text Mr. Desikachar studied with his father. And now, it is your chance to study it with Chase!
The only prerequisites for this class is a general knowledge of the practice of Yoga and a desire to study ancient text with an experienced teacher.
*You will receive 8 contact hours: Techniques (2.5), Anatomy & Physiology (2.5), & Yoga Philosophy (3)
Date/Time: Thursdays at 5pm PT / 8pm ET
Duration: 75-minute classes for 8 weeks
Option 1 One-time payment of $180
Option 2 Two monthly payments of $90
I highly recommend studying with Chase.
Chase’s warmth, humor, emotional intelligence and ability to create community is invaluable. I highly recommend studying with him. You will come away not only with more understanding of yoga but also more tools and meaning to help you with the challenge of being a human being.
Interested in other classes?
Each semester, Yoga Well offers a range of classes focused on different areas of your Yoga journey.
What You Will Learn
This exploration of the text will include:
- An introduction to the practice of Haṭha Yoga and its importance
- An overview of the content of the Haṭha Yoga Pradīpika, and how it’s arranged
- Understanding of the significance of the text in Yoga practice in general
- Explanation of the relationship between Haṭha Yoga and Patañjali’s Yogasūtra, known as Raja Yoga
- Deeper examinations of each chapter of the Haṭha Yoga Pradīpika
- Specific comments on important Prāṇāyāma techniques and Mudrās
- Insight into advanced meditative states and their relationship to practice
Through studying the Haṭha Yoga Pradīpika, you will have a clearer understanding of the goals and principles underlying your practice. Further, you will have greater insight into how to apply those same goals and principles in your everyday moments to truly experience a more purposeful & satisfying life.
Private Online Community
Who this Course Is For
- You are a Yoga student who has taken Haṭha Yoga classes and wants to learn more about the practice
- You are a longtime Yoga practitioner who wants to understand the relationship between the different Yoga practices and how they apply to you.
- You are interested in Krishnamacharya’s teaching and how it was influenced by Haṭha principles
- You are a Viniyoga practitioner who wants to study Haṭha Yoga Pradipika with an expert teacher
In 1991, as part of a study abroad program in Chennai, India, Chase took a semester-long course on Yoga Theory with Mr. TKV Desikachar that essentially set the direction for the rest of his life. He became a private student of Mr. Desikachar, who was his mentor and teacher for 20+ years. During that time, he spent a total of four and a half years in Chennai studying with him, his family and his senior teachers. He also had the opportunity to serve as a teacher at the Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram. From 2006-2012, he was the Director of Therapy and Education at the non-profit Healing Yoga Foundation in San Francisco.
His depth of knowledge on yoga and meditation are shared through practical, humorous anecdotes that translate to everyday life.
If you’d like to sign up for more than one semester class, please use this special order form in order to avoid having to complete this form multiple times.
No need to worry with our 30 day, no questions asked, money-back guarantee.
At the Yoga Well Institute, we are committed to our students and ensuring this life-changing work is available to all. If finances are the only thing preventing you from enrolling, we invite you to complete our scholarship application and we’ll do our best to work with you. We are especially committed to supporting BIPOC, LGBT+, Veterans, First Responders and other under-represented communities.